Three Muses - Architecture

I am so saddened at the passing of so many little country churches.    Long before ornate churches and fancy cathedrals,  many Christians worshiped in these simple little chapels, untrained voices raised in song, and traveling preachers shared the word of God.    They were  often a hub of the community, famous for fried chicken suppers and ice cream socials.   These vignettes are by the very talented photographer, Swainboat, who generously allowed me to use his work.  When I traveled in my work, I frequently passed a little brick chapel beside the highway.  It occasioned me to write this poem.   Thank you for stopping by.

                    THE LITTLE CHAPEL

It's just a little chapel that sits beside the way
But I wonder what it could tell me if it could speak today.
The tower is now empty where the beckoning bell once rang,
And only dusty silence where the little congregation sang.
The windows are now vacant and the pews are long since gone,
But, if I listen, I hear echoes of ice cream socials on the lawn.
I imagine all the faithful who have talked here with their God
While outside their forefathers rested deep beneath  prairie sod.
I see all the bridal couples who have here exchanged their vows,
And think of long-ago sermons soothing furrowed brows.
How many babes were christened, how many old folks laid to rest?
How many Sunday mornings with folks dressed in Sunday best?
I feel God all about me as I stand beside the door
And listen to the voices of those who've passed before.
For one day I'll be like them, when this life has passed me by
And my voice be but an echo to some dreamer such as I.
May I live my life with honor in my short time here on earth,
And touch the lives of others with love, and joy and mirth.
May there always be a moment as day follows busy day
For echoes like the chapel's and what it had to say.
You have read this article with the title Three Muses - Architecture. You can bookmark this page URL http://digital-whisper.blogspot.com/2012/05/three-muses-architecture.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Three Muses - Architecture"

Post a Comment